Thursday, January 14, 2010

Happy Makar Sankranti!!!


Makar Sankranti is celbrated all over India with many different names. In Uttar Pradesh it's called "Khichdi", in Punjab its "Lohri", in Andhra it's "Bhogi", in Assam it's Bihu, in Tamil Nadu it's "Pongal", in Gujrat it "Uttarayan" and many such different names in diferent states of India (if you didn't know, there are 28 states in India). It's basicaly a harvesting festival where people come together and celbrate the harvest or just celebrate (cuz not many farners these days but we all love to celebrate). Every place has there own rituals & ways actually. But I remember it as the day of eating lots of nice stuff like ghazak, gudpatti, chikki, moongfali with revari and what not, mmmmmm (I am getting water in my mouth while writing this). Ofourse missed all that being here in USA but I did my first cooking here this year and enjoyed myself. However just had one meal s didn't get time to cook whole day because my car search being on. But eveing food of awesome egg-curry was finally great. Well everyone, HAPPY SANKRANTI!!

No comments: