Sunday, October 16, 2011

My First American Wedding Experience

To begin with, let me clarify: I was just attending the wedding yesterday, of my (& Tani's) friends Amy & Duncan. It was not my "american" wedding, or "my wedding" of any kind. Just my first experience with/in an American Wedding.. & it was AWESOME!! It really was...Wedding parties are usually fun, at least in India they are. In India, weddings are Big Social Event. It's all about show-off & having fun & all that. It could be a multi-day celebration, but that's changing now. Although I haven't attended a wedding in India for quite  a while now.. actually haven't been to India for more than 2 yrs for that matter. But anyways..

The wedding started with Wedding Vows (i.e. the real wedding ceremony stuff. BTW, this could be a tough phrase to say for an Indian as ity has both 'W' & 'V' which are said differently by Americans) were exchanged at Carlyle House, which is a really historic building (maybe pre-historic for American standards??). It's a beautiful old building, the weather was warm & nice and it went very well with occasional sound blasts by airplanes flying overhead. Short & sweet stuff. Then the party moved to the Ritz-Carlton at Pentagon City for the reception.The theme was 80,s which I really don't know much about. But no one really cares about the music much, once you are few drinks down, even the banging of kitchenware can be music (that's how heavy metal came to existence I guess). Although as far as I can remember, the music was fun & nice.. if I remember!! After the introductions of bridesmaids, groomsmen, groom & bride herself, it was time for a beautiful "first dance" by our beautiful couple, very well choreographed (with almost no steps to do, except one :-). Then some long & "emotional" speech by best man & maid of honor & some other things maybe which I don't remember. But the food & drinks were on table which was NICE (that's what made it lemurable). And then... The DANCING. OMG.. As far as I am concerned, I made the party rock n roll.. or something.. dunno.. but I had LOT OF FUN, lots of Dancing, with almost everyone who wanted to shake a leg, or two. It was pretty awesome. Along this time, there was wedding cake cutting, which I never got to eat & more Dancing.. more FUN. I just remember the Dancing. It was very joyful, festive with lots of wonderful & great people there. Amy & Duncan are surely fortunate to have so many wonderful friends who came to share there joy on there special day (and enjoy free food, drinks & dancing). We are so fortunate to have such friends who decided to make us a part of their special day (and get lots of gifts and on top of that get the video taken by me for free... yeah, I was the unofficial & unpaid video-grapher for the event). All in all, a wonderful day, a wonderful weekend, a wonderful time.

Thanks Amy & Duncan Van Buskirk... and Heartily Congratulations!!!!

No comments: