Thursday, July 14, 2011

I am a New Yorker... 1 year in NYC!!

I have spent ONE YEAR in NYC. Big Deal? I guess. It was exactly an year ago when I came here to live. When I came here first time more than 4 yrs ago, I used to say I have a love & hate relationship with NYC. Now I have to say that I have a love-hate-love relationship with NYC. More like a real New Yorker, huh? I don't know. I did get cheated a while ago, that's not a good sign. But isn't that part of experiencing real NYC? (Probably more of getting fooled & not being a smart New Yorker). It's been quite a journey, living in THE CITY, in REAL CITY i.e. Manhattan. 3 blocks from Times Square. 15-20 mins walk from Central Park. 10 mins walk from Bryant Park. (these are all walking times of New Yorker, not regular walk. New Yorker walk, a lot), Next to Western Piers. Working at WALL STREET. Dream life, huh? Dunno... It did used to feel special walking through Times Sq to get home everyday. Now it feels maddening. FUNKING TOURISTS!! I do say that. It could take half hour to just cross Times Sq. They walk so slow, i.e. not walk. Take pictures, ask you to take pictures, expect you to not come in there pictures... GRRRRRRR (like I never did that myself). And I still walk from there everyday, sometimes still feel cool, special. I never thought this will happen. Not while growing up all over in India - Gujarat/Bengal/Delhi and playing around never worrying what to become, what to do in future. USA was not in the dreams, surely not NYC. And now here I am, 1 year in NYC. I tell people: If you can survive in NYC for an year & still like it, you are a New Yorker. Immigrants who moved here in recent future agree & like it. People who grew up here, H(ate) it. But yeah... I am a NEW YORKER!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This post is impressive! I¡¯m gonna put this in the bookmarks before I lose the link I don¡¯t believe I¡¯ll ever find my way back here again otherwise