Monday, July 11, 2011

I need hand surgery... MCP Joint RCL tear & subluxation

of my right thumb injury from last weekend. I have a grade III tear which mostly can't be successfully fixed by casting/immobilization, so requires surgery to fix. How do I know all that? Cuz I am smart & awesome. And also because I went to Hand Orthopedist at Beth Israel in NYC today. He did a review, some X-Rays (no MRI) and said that surgery is best solution to ensure (although doctors never 'guarantee' a fix from surgery, it just mostly works) full recovery/fix where they'll do an incision at the RCL joint of MCP, put the dislocated joint together properly and sew/fix the broken ligament, then put a pin in there to stabilize it, immobilize it with a cast. Then they take off the pin in 10 days & keep hand in cast for another 3-4 weeks. After that they take off the cast & put a splint/brace on & I start occupational therapy/rehabilitation to gain strength back. And after all this, I am back in motion. If I don't do surgery, it might heal by itself with the splint/cast/brace (at least it looks cool) they have put me in. But it might heal crooked or with bump. I might not get full range of motion or have pain or even future arthritis. All "might" happen (or I might get totally fixed!!), kinda SUCKS!! Doctor's suggestion is surgery & I am not very excited about it. But 2-3 months of pain for lifetime of no problems (guaranteed?) isn't that bad. I am still thinking of getting a second review... Any suggestions/comments??

The week & weekend was spent mostly relaxing & taking it easy, still working though. Got outta bed after 4(pm) on Saturday and 2 pm on Sunday. Sometimes its just god top lay in bed to feel that it's really a day-off, I felt good. Went to Sheep Meadow in Central park for sun-bathing; I love central park & I am even a member & do donations to them. It's so big & confusing though sometimes, need to explore more. Also went to Bryant Park which is small & cool & nice. That's it. Will keep posted of new updates, until then.... Good Luck to me, & U!!