Monday, February 27, 2012

Oscars, Academy Awards 2012

Academy Awards 2012 were held today & the results were:
  1. Best Film: The Artist - I was surprised a little, cuz I thought it could/should be Hugo. Similar concept but grander execution & stunningly beautiful.
  2. Best Director: Michel Hazanivicius - Could've been Marty but thsi was well deserved. Making a silent likable movie is quite a task.
  3. Best Actor: Jean Dujardin (The Artist) - Very surprising actually. I thought it would be George Clooney or Brad Pitt or someone. A french guy with no dialogues to say except 2 words. But he was definitely very good in the movie & deserved it I guess..
  4. Best Actress: Meryl Streep (The Iron Lady) - She's so damn beautiful even now. I haven't seen the movie but with 17 nominations and 3rd win, I am not sure that she deserved it for thi smovie or not, but good she got it.
  5. Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer (Beginners) - I remember him from Girl with Dragon Tattoo & haven't sene this but dunno.. must be good or just got it cuz he's 82?
  6. Best Supporting Actress: Ocatvia Spencer (The Help) - I haven't seen this movie or her. Did she get it cuz she's black woman? Just kidding.. I think she probably is very good and didn't have Meryl for competition
  7. Best Original Screenplay: Woody Allen (Midnight in Paris) - I have not been able to see this movie inspite of my multiple attempts through Netflix. I got the disc but it didn't play, got 2 more but they didn't play sound, getting a dvd now. Anyways, I like Woody Allen a lot and waiting to watch this awesome movie.
  8. Best Animation feature: Rango - That's the only animation I had seen out of all nominees & it won.. not fair, but it happens.
You can see the other results which were mostly swept by Hugo I think, nobody seems to care much about the other technical categories but they are important and contribute heavily in making a good movie (although we find it boring & that's why I am skipping talking about them). AR Rahman was orchestrating the music I think, i did see him playing which was cool. I didn't like Billy Crystal's hosting, but much better than last year. But Jon Stewart was much better, or even NPH at Tonys (NPH should get to host Oscars!!).

I also watched two movies: 2001 a Space Odyssey (8/10) was pretty cool but I wasn't blown away by it. Although, I enjoyed the extras much more. Tells you how it was so awesome for that time. The visual effects, the imagination, the execution etc and the music is all just AWESOME. I didn't get the plot a lot initially & didn't make lot of sense but I kinda get it now. Stanley is definitely a filmmaker's filmmaker, a great guy. I also watched Ek Main Aur Ekk Tu (7/10), which I thought was a rip-off of What Happens in Vegas; but it was not. It's a good movie with ok performance by Imran Khan (he sometimes seems dead-ish, cinema should be more cinematic I think), decent performance by Kareena (she suits these kind of crazy roles) and good plot, interesting ending and great name of the lead guy.. RAHUL!!

No comments: