Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Jersey City to New York City - PATH vs NYC Subway

Well, I haven't moved back to the city (yet), NO. Just talking about my first day of commute from Journal Square to Downtown Manhattan, FIDI (pronunced as Fie-Die, Financial District) as New Yorkers call it. I walk from my place to Journal Square & then take PATH.  I get off at World Financial Center (not WTC anymore) station & walk to my work at Wall Street (I had to mention that to let you know that I work at mighty Wall Street). It's not bad at all. The commute from Jersey city to NYC could be probably less than even being in Manhattan (If you live above midtown, far from Subway.. & you are close to Path in Jersey CIty coming to FIDI etc), or almost same as other Burroughs. You are not in the "City", but I am just talking commute here, which is cool. And there are benefits to living in Jersey too (gotta convince myself, U know).....

So lets do a quick PATH vs NYC Subway check... PATH's monthly pass is $54, $50 less when compared to NYC Subway Monthly Pass. You have to buy a $5 plastic card  called smartlink card from automated vending machine & then refill or recharge it at another machine. Kinda non-intuitive (I struggled like a dumbo for 10 mins) & lotta work  (I had to be "walked through" the whole process) for first time. But there was someone to tell/help which was good. The PATH looks cleaner & nicer too. There is no food & drinks allowed, which must help. I don't see any trash/garbage cans in PATH stations either, which is weird. People might bring stuff & you gotta have place to throw. Frequency & service is good, almost every 10 mins in peak hours. It runs 24 hrs as well. So, I like PATH. But unlike many people, I liked subway as well. You have to understand that there are so many lines & trains they have to run, with so many stations to manage. PATH just has 4 lines & 13 stations. And subway is so old as well. At least is 24 hrs unlike most of rest of the world I guess. LA, Boston, DC, London, Delhi, none of the places have 24 hrs metro service. It may not be very comfortable but it's absolutely convenient. So my verdict is, both are great public transport... Love NYC, Love JC!!

No comments: