GM ( General Motor's ) Diet is a well known diet program designed to detoxify body & also for weight reduction. GM Diet is a 7 days diet program & it should be follow once in a month or in two months. GM diet is very effective if it is followed sincerely than the individual can loose up to 2-3 Kgs in a week. However after following GM diet one must take care of the diet because the person can regain weight within 2-3 days. However obese individuals who are suffering from Diabetes, hypertension or other heart problems should not go for GM Diet. I've heard that the program was developed in conjunction with a grant from U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Food and Drug Administration. It was field tested at the Johns Hopkins Research Centre and was approved for distribution by the Board of Directors, General Motors Corp. at a general meeting on August 15, 1985. The effectiveness of this seven day plan is that the foods eaten burn more calories than they give to the body in caloric value. Anytime during the diet plan,you should not feel hungry, eat the suggested food as much as you can.
- Day 1 is a all fruit day except banana. Water-based fruits like watermelon & cantaloupes are better. You are preparing your system for the upcoming programme. Your only source of nutrition is fresh or canned fruits. Fruits are nature's perfect food.
- Day 2 is all vegetable day, boiled or cooked. Have one boiled potato for breakfast. This day starts with a fix of complex carbohydrates coupled with an oil dose. This is taken in the morning for energy and balance. The rest of day of vegetables which are virtually calorie free and provide essential nutrients and fibre.
- Day 3 you can have a mixture of fruits and vegetables of your choice. Any amount, any quantity. No bananas yet. No potatoes today. This day eliminates the potato because you get your carbohydrates from the fruits. Your system is now prepared to start burning excess pounds. You will still have cravings which should start to diminish by day four.
- Day 4 is for Bananas & Milk. Eat as many as eight bananas and drink three glasses of milk. Bananas are there for the potassium you have lost and the sodium you may have missed the past three days.
- Day 5 you start eating some food. Eat a bowl of brown rice and have beef/chicken (for vegeterians: Rajama/beans, chhole/chikpeas, paneer/cottage-cheese or Soya nuggets) combined with 6 tomatoes (must eat). The beef/chicken is for iron and proteins, the tomatoes are for digestion and fibre. Increase intake of water to cleanse your system of the uric acid you will be producing.
- Day 6 is similar to Day 5 diet except the 6 tomatoes. You can add raw/cooked vegetables too to your diet today. Iron and proteins from beef/chicken, Vitamins and fibre from vegetables. By now your system is in a total weight loss inclination.
- Day 7 will consist of food similar to Day 6and also fresh/real fruit juice. You have your system under control and it should thank you for the flushing and cleaning you just gave it.
The following soup is intended as a supplement to your diet. This recipe is not inflexible, you may substitute vegetables according to your taste. It can be eaten any time of the day in virtually unlimited quantities. You are encouraged to consume large quantities of this soup.
28 oz, Water, 6 Large Onions, 2 Green Peppers, Whole Tomatoes (fresh or canned), 1 Head Cabbage, 1 Bunch Celery, 4 Envelopes Lipton Onion Soup Mix, Herbs and Flavouring as desired.
Beverages you may consume while on the program :
Water (flavoured with lemon/lime if desired).
Club Soda is OK.
Black Coffee. No cream or cream substitute. No sugar or sweetness.
Black Tea = Herb or Leaf.
Absolutely nothing else except the fruit juices which are part of day seven. No fruit juices before day seven. Avoid any oil & sweets. During the first seven days you must abstain from all alcohol & smoking. You must drink 10 glasses of water each day. Try to honestly stick to the plan.
- Drink warm water in place of usual/cold water.
- Avoid oil/oily food, excess fat & sweet as much as possible. You may start having fat-free & sugar-free food & stuff, it actually makes a difference.
- Mild exercise of 30-60 minutes, 4-5 times a week is also essential. Do not tire yourself out, but being regular in your exercise and maintaining an ideal weight goes a long way in ensuring a happy, healthy and long life.