Saturday, January 31, 2009

Shahrukh's "Ghar Ki Baat Hai"... another TV bum???

TV serials are terrible... I mean that's what most of youngsters wanna say unless it's something coolish like MTV Roadies or Channel V kinda stuff or English sitcoms (Friends, Scrubs etc) on Star World, AXN & HBO. I mean most of us don't even want to accept if we watch any so called Indian telly-shows which may be the reality-shows (the singing, dancing & comedy competitions actually) or the usual daily soaps (mostly starting with 'K' courtesy Ekta). Anyways, I don't really follow the daily soaps much & neither does anyone else in my home. My mom watches just a very few like Dulhan, Saat Phere, Betiyaan (see, I remember all the names which may prove that I watch them too... sometimes) and ofcourse Balika Vadhu (everyone seems to watch that, or atleast pretends to as it is some status symbol). And I do try to watch those reality-shows too, but I don't always succeed to enjoy them as they are tough to enjoy these days. And on top of that you mostly get to watch the same faces of the daily soaps on these reality-shows, trying to sing/dance/comedy which most of them miserably fail at. Seems we can't ever get enough of it... TV serials are terrible, LOL!!!

Shahrukh Khan has produced a new serial for NDTV Imagine named "Ghar Ki Baat Hai" which started airing from Jan 31, 2008. Being a SRK production I was expecting it to be something nice and different & nice. However as they say, never expect too much from anything or you may get hurt; I got hurt. They have a decent cast here with Sumeet Raghvan (we have loved him as Sahil of Sarabhai) as the husband, Juhi Babbar (Raj Babbar's daughter who really sucks, in a bad way) as the wife, Swapnil Joshi (the young Shri Krishna, has done decent comedy on Comedy Circus) as the brother in law staying with sister (is always eating & lazy too, but still not even quarter as funny as Joey) and Ali Asgar (this guy is kinda good & funny, not in here but in general) in recurring different roles. The 1st episode was so un-funny, I couldn't laugh even after my best tries. The dumb massage sofa (which was not actually a massage sofa but the inflatable sofa/recliner showed on telly shopping, surprised that they couldn't afford a real massage sofa with SRK production) And people jumping/shaking on it to show the massage was so dumb. Even the concept and storyline was bore & so were the performances. The attempted tribute on 'Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi' would itself become a tribute to un-funny & bore very soon if this is how it's gonna go. Damn Sharukh, didn't you ever watch your own TV show!!!

BTW, not as if all TV shows have been bums like this though. I used to love Sarabhai vs Srabhai, why didn't they do a season 2 yet? I especially used to adore the character of Dushyant, so damn funny!! Office-Office, Sriman-Srimati and some others used to be nice too. Reality shows like Indian Idol and Great Indian Laughter Challenge were pretty nice too when they started. It's just that they couldn't continue the same standards (hmmm, and may be that's why they are not doing more of Sarabhai). On that note, if you wanna watch real comedy then just watch our news channels like INDIA TV (click on this link for real info on them). All of them are just creating funny drama these days with no sense of news; with all red circles and diagrams/animations, they never seem to get the news straight but a twist. If you wanna watch real news, I liked TIMES NOW & Arnab on there is good.

I recently watched RAAZ-2 which was okay. Not very scary & not even great effects too, but decent storyline and nice music (surprisingly Emraan hasn't done what he's supposed to do, lol). But we still gotat do better with horror movies, most of them starting hollywood style these days but ending Ramsay Brothers style. I also saw 'Slumdog Millionaire' and it was just okay for me. I will probably write a separate blog to express my mixed views about selling Indian poverty to world with a decent piece of work & nice performances which has been praised worldwide. Alright boys n girls and dear friends, that's it for now. Please keep blogging & keep reading my blogs (do COMMENT to let me know of your views too). This is RAHUL again saying, Good Bye & Good Luck!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

most of the comedy shows or TV shows aren't much good. And so is slumdog millionaire, not good... onl this blog is good :)

Rahul T. said...

wow, thanks a lot. please keep reading & enjoyi!!ng