Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Mamma Mia, the movie I saw halfway but still enjoyed...

Being used to the Indian movies makes you a fan of 'song & dance routine' in movies. So a musical is never surprising for us. Infact movies without nice song & dance may seem strange to many of us. For me it has been disappointing mostly, when it comes to hollywood musicals, especially Chicago which was terrible or even Moulin Rouge. Why the hell they even speak dialogues by singing them, that's stupid (like singing & dancing around trees with changing clothes & all other ridiculous stuff is so sensible & smart, but we are used to it). Somehow the Hollywood musical doesn't seem to work much to me (The Enchanted and Music & Lyrics were nice though) but this was a clear exception.

The movie looks fresh and interesting, the performances are subtle and keeps you hooked having fun while watching. That's what you expect from a musical. The storyline is well known, (hopefully... it was not well known to me though) a girl searching for her real father out of all 3 men her mom has dated earlier. She plans her marriage and invites all 3 men to figure out who is it. And the story goes through twists & turns and lots of SONGS, coming to a happy ending (sounds like bollywood).

I haven't seen the Broadway show but this film is definitely captivating enough to hold the audience. It was interesting to see Mr Ex James Bond singing and dancing on musical tunes. Others looked good as well. Just one suggestion, if you enjoy the movie then don't leave theater immediately after it ends, there is a nice song and dance routine with the end credits (ABBA songs 'Dancing queen' & 'Waterloo'), so ENJOY the Hollywood's bollywoodization!!!

One more thing, this was one of the very few movies I didnt see from begining, even in the movie theatre... yeah was kind of late. One my friend used to hate watching movies if he missed the initial credits (he called it numbering, 'I cant see movie if I miss numbering'). Even I enjoy the advertisements & trailers before movies ( but not the mandatory government promotional messages for dowry, family planning or stuff like that shown in India still. Those ads have been made 50 years ago and they still show the same boring & embarassing stuff, why!!) . So I felt I didn't watch the whole movie (unlike in India I didn't evn ask the person next to my seat that how much movie has gone & what all happened, always used to do that in India though), so I would be watching it again sometime on DVD. Also would love to see a hindi dubbing and see what they do with it, lol...

Anyways, I'll sign-off for the time being but would come up with lot more movie reviews of mine very soon (Hellboy-II, Hancock, Wanted, Incredible Hulk and Ironman). Until then keep blogging & keep reading my blogs. This is RAHUL again saying, Good Bye & Good Luck!!!

No comments: